Author Topic: Requirements for a Thai Non-Immigrant visa for purpose of visiting family  (Read 3173 times)

USA Expat

  • Administrator
  • Newbie
  • *****
  • Posts: 17
    • View Profile
Requirements for a Thai Non-Immigrant visa for the purpose of visiting family (Type "O") and Supporting a Thai Spouse

These requirements are universal for all Thai Embassies and Consulates, however, there are some slight variations from place to place.  Some locations are more strict than others.

If you have any doubts about what is required, or if you are getting conflicting information about what is required, I suggest you take multiple copies of everything with you to the Thai Embassy.  If you are not sure if it is needed, take it anyway.  If you leave Thailand to go to Laos or Cambodia to get the visa, and you are missing something important, you will only be able to return to Thailand with a 15 day VOA.

First, you need a Non-immigrant visa for purpose of visiting a family member (spouse).  If you are currently in Thailand on a Tourist visa, you must get a Non-immigrant "O" visa for marriage before you can get the extensions.  This is a two-step process, first you must leave Thailand, and get the Non-immigrant "O" visa, which is good for 90 days.  Then after 60 days, and within 30 days of the expiration date (not sooner), go to an Immigration office in Thailand and apply for the 12 month marriage extension.

If you already have a Non-immigrant visa, then you can just go straight to the Immigration office and apply for the marriage extension.  You will need all the documents for both the Non-Imm "O" visa and the marriage extension as described below.

The requirements for just the Non "O" visa are more simple than the marriage extension.  Again, these requirements can vary from embassy to embassy, so it is best to find out in advance what is required, if that is not possible, then take EVERYTHING for both the Non "O" visa AND the marriage extension with you, just to be safe.

Between the 90 day Non "O" visa, then the 12 month marriage extension, you are getting 15 months to begin with.

Required documents for the Non-Imm "O" visa include:
  • Application form (TM87) - This application form also varies from place to place, so I suggest you find the website for the specific embassy or consulate you plan to visit to see if you can get their version of the application form on-line.  Otherwise, you can pick up the application when you get there and fill it out.  It is usually not a long form and can be filled out quickly.
  • Two passport photos of applicant (write your name on the back of each photo)
  • Proof of family relationship - marriage certificate:
    • If the marriage certificate is from a country other than Thailand, then the certificate must be registered with the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA).  Which requires that it is first translated into Thai.  Most offices that offer translation services in Thailand can also help you get it registered with the MFA
    • If you are married in Thailand, the marriage must be registered with the Amphur office - a village ceremony alone is not considered a valid marriage.
    • The marital relationship shall be dejure (legitimate) and de facto
  • If any children are involved, including natural or an adopted child, copies of any birth certificates and house registration books must be provided
  • Copies of relevent pages from the alien's passport (picture page, page showing entry and exit stamps, visa page, etc.)
  • Copies of Thai Spouse's ID card
  • Copies of Thai Spouse's house registration book (Blue book)
  • Copies of Thai Spouse's Passport - if one exists, otherwise not required as long as you provide the copy of the ID card
  • Proof that you have at least 20,000 baht in a Thai bank account.

For the marriage extension, you will need all of the above documents, plus the following:
  • Application form (TM7) This is a standard form and can be downloaded.  This is a two page form, however, you cannot submit it as 2 separate pages, you must print it so the 2 pages are printed front to back (duplex) so there is only one piece of paper.
  • In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month OR a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.
    • If you are using a monthly income to satisfy this requirement, then you must obtain a letter from your country's Embassy verifying the monthly income.  Most Embassies do not require any proof of the income, this is just a signed affidavit stating your monthly income.  However, some Thai Embassies or Consulates may require proof of the income in the form of regular deposits going into your bank account.
    • The bank account must be at a Thai bank
    • You can also combine the deposit and monthly income together, for instance, you can show that you have 200,000 baht in a bank account, and an income of 20,000 baht per month.
    • For proof of a deposit, you should not only provide copies of the pages from your bank book, but also obtain a letter from the bank certifying the balance and dates of deposits.  This letter should be dated within a day or two of when you visit the Immigration office.
  • A letter from the Thai spouse verifying that the applicant and the spouse are still married and the purpose of the visit to Thailand - no longer required
  • Map showing the location of the alien's residence
  • Three pictures of the alien and his spouse at his residence
  • Form Sor Tor Mor 2 not older than 6 months (The alien's acceptance of conditions permitting the alien to live in the kingdom) - this can be obtained from the local Amphur office - no longer required

Take three copies of everything, sign your name on the bottom of every page of every copy.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 07:04:57 AM by USA Expat »


  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Requirements for a Thai Non-Immigrant visa for purpose of visiting family
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 08:55:54 PM »
Firstly Thanks for letting me join. I live in Si Songkhran, Nakhon Phanom. I came across this site quite by chance.
also thanks for the info on the visa requirements, it's always been hit and miss with me most times which involves upsetting the wife, that makes for an unpleasant day.
I saw a post on this forum about Savan Vegas Hotel processing your visa papers. I called them yesterday and they're not doing this service any more.
Would anyone here know of anybody else processing your visa papers? Nothing like having the hassles taken away!
I am due to get my visa extension for 3 months in October, so would appreciate any info.