Author Topic: Requirements for a Thai Non-Immigrant visa for purpose of retirement  (Read 4123 times)

USA Expat

  • Administrator
  • Newbie
  • *****
  • Posts: 17
    • View Profile
Requirements for a Thai Non-Immigrant visa for purpose of Retirement

This is often incorrectly referred to as a Retirement visa.  The correct terminology is Thai Non-Immigrant visa for purpose of retirement.  Or Non-Immigrant "O" visa with a retirement extension.

First you must have a Non-Immigrant visa, which is good for 90 days.  Then you add a 12 month retirement extension to it.  The first time you do this, you will end up with a 15 month visa, then each year you renew it, it is good for 12 months.

The retirement extension is much easier to get than the marriage extension.  Much less paper work, however, it requires twice as much money as income or deposited into a bank account.

There are also a couple of additional requirements that do not exist for the marriage extension such as the police report and the health certificate.

Here are the requirements:
  • A foreign national whose age is 50 years or above. (on the date of submitting the application)
  • Not being prohibited from entering the Kingdom under the Immigration Act. B.E. 2522
  • Having the nationality of or the residence in the country where his/ her application is submitted
  • Having no criminal record against the security of Thailand and the country of his/her nationality, or the country of his/her residence
  • Not having prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 (B.E. 2535) (Leprosy, Tuberculosis [T.B], Elephantiasis, Drug addiction, Alcoholism, 3nd step of syphilis)
Required documents:
  • Visa application form
  • Passport-type photos (Passport-type photo, 4 x 6 cm, color, front-view, taken within 6 months, and write your name and last name on the back of each photo).
  • Copies of the applicant's passport (the picture page) - include the actual passport when submitting the application.  Passport must be valid for at least 18 more months
  • Copies of Personal Data Form
  • Copies of:
    • applicant's bank statement showing a balance in the amount of not less than 800,000 Baht  (When submitting the bank statement, a letter from the bank verifying the account and balance is to be presented) If you are submitting this application to a Thai Embassy in your home country, then the account can exist at a bank in your home country.  If you are living in Thailand and are processing this application at a neighboring country, then the bank account must be at a Thai bank
    • or an income certificate with a monthly salary of not less than 65,000 Baht.  If you are submitting your application in your home country, check with your local Thai Embassy for requirements to show proof of income; if you are living in Thailand, then an affidavit from your country's embassy is required to verify this income.
    • or a combination of a deposit account plus a monthly income totaling not less than 800,000 Baht a year
  • Copies of police verification stating the applicant has no criminal record issued by the authority concerned of his/her nationality or residence.  The verification must not be more than three months old
  • Copies of the completed medical certificate form issued from the country where the application is submitted, showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No. 14 (B.E. 2535) with the name and address of the doctor.  The certificate must be not be older than 3 months.

In the case where the accompanying spouse is not eligible to apply for  the Category ‘O-A’ (Long Stay) visa, he or she will be considered for temporary stay under Category ‘O’ visa.  A marriage certificate must be provided as evidence and should be notarised by notary organs or by the applicant’s diplomatic or consular mission.

Provide three copies of everything.  Sign your name to the bottom of every page.